Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Gunfight at the RTA Corral

Okay, so maybe my headline for this post is a tad bit overdramatic... But like that famous fight that symbolized the struggle between law and order and the rampant banditry of the American Old West, the Racine Taxpayers Association met with the RUSD Interim Superintendent and Board President yesterday for what was probably a very lively luncheon meeting.

I am coming to the realization that politics DO play a major part in education, although I still believe that education should be a non-partisan issue. In my humble opinion, taxpayers have a right to question financial decisions, after all, it is our money and we have a right to understand how it is being spent. But because the tax money is used for something that is intangible - education - sometimes lines get drawn in the sand. It becomes an Us vs Them issue - I know I have fallen into this frame of mind many times before. This is something I am continually addressing and trying to overcome.

The Journal Times reported that the PBCG contract was one of the many issues discussed - please allow me to pontificate briefly on that topic. While I completely understand the need for secrecy at this time, or as Baumgardt stated, to "keep my mouth shut" until the renegotiations are complete and voted on in an Open Session meeting, I do have some concerns.

Frankly, I am worried about any negative political fall-out from any decision that may be perceived as a bad one (financially speaking) by the taxpayers of eastern Racine County.

The district has decaying buildings that are literally stuffed to the gills with children - not the best learning environment for anyone, to say the least. (We treat our criminals better!) The district will need to address its facilities soon via spending referenda; the trust and support of the district by the citizens it serves is needed.

I have written about my feelings about the PBCG contract numerous times for nearly 2 years now - I am not going to repeat myself.

But I will say this - I certainly hope that any deal brokered with PBCG is one that the public can bear. What sort of compensation can the public bear and accept? That is the unknown; I know the amount I would give them if I sat on the board, but hey, my opinion doesn't matter.

Or does it?

No comments: