Thursday, July 06, 2006

Do the district administrators deserve a bonus?

Excuse me for the belated breakdown of the recent Journal Times article, but I was out of town and have been busy trying to catch up with all the news. However, I do want to chime in and voice my opinion on the latest district decision to give the administrators a one time 2% raise in pay.

According to the JT article,” the one-time payment is identical to a provision in the teachers' contract for 2005-06.” However, as I understand it, the provision in the teachers’ contract was based on the fact that they had previously given back 2 days of pay in a previous contract cycle in order to balance the budget.

As one board member pointed out administration did not give up two days pay, so why the bonus? The office and maintenance workers took a pay freeze; shouldn’t the administrators do the same?

No comments: