Sunday, September 03, 2006

Who (or what) is Ruby Payne?

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has a piece on the notable changes taking place this year at RUSD. Most “notable” to me is that the elementary and middle school teachers are attending Ruby Payne training to deal with children in poverty. Since this was the first time I actually heard it referred to by name (the administration briefly outlined it a recent board meeting and simply referred to it as one of the “tools” that will be used), I thought I would Google it and try to find out more about it.

I am continually outraged by the community (and some members of the board) that insist our low district achievement is because we have many children in poverty. This is completely baseless and racist; as if only white suburban children can learn. I have said (again and again) that it boils down to expectation. If you expect a child will fail; he/she most likely will. I understand that educating a child from the inner city will probably be much different than one from Caledonia or Mt. Pleasant, so I am cautiously optimistic that paying for this Ruby Payne training will be money well spent.

7 comments:

Free Thinker said...

It's not that they can't learn Brenda. Ruby Payne is teaching us to accept their difference and establish and entirely different set of expectations and standards for them.

You don't know how often I have heard these statements during my tenure...

"He's just acting that way because he is poor"

"She doesn't understand how to behave in a classroom because she doesn't have much at home"

From what I have gleaned from a brief inservice about Ruby Payne and her book, it's about excusing poor results and misbehavior because of poverty. I hope that clarifies and angers you somewhat.

Brenda said...

I know that poor children can learn provided that we expect that they can learn I was hoping this training would enable the teachers to set aside any prejudged notions, and focus on teaching and setting high goals for these children.

Now you are suggesting that the training will enable teachers to make more excuses.

That seriously concerns me, perhaps you could a brief synopsis of your in-service over at RDW.

Brenda said...

I meant to say "perhaps you could PROVIDE a brief synopsis of your in-service over at RDW.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you Brenda, but I'm ticked!!! I agee with you about expectations, but I'm angry that they opted to just make excuses and lower the standards. I believe that this will actually widen the achievement gap, not close it. Its sick!!

Brenda said...

It is so hard to see them (Unified) try to do something that might actually help and then fail to implement it properly.

I will reserve any further judgement until I hear from a teacher (are you listening, Randy :>) ) provide us with a brief synopsis of the training.

As with CP, some of these ideas are great (in theory) in the beginning but how they play out in the classroom is a different story.

Free Thinker said...

I am efforting a post on RDW about this topic. Being the first weeks of school I am slow on getting much of anything other than beginning of the year stuff out of the way. I promise something by the end of the month.

Brenda said...

That would be great...