Wednesday, December 13, 2006

More on RUSD off-site meetings....

Must be a slow news day, the Racine Journal Times had a front-page, above-the fold article entitled “Offsite meetings OK for Unified board?” There were some brilliant comments (insert self-deprecating tone) made by a citizen journalist, but all in all, the article was decent and I feel my quotes, although edited, adequately conveyed the message I was trying to make.

From my discussion with the JT reporter yesterday, he admitted that the logistics of having the meeting at the MACTE offices left much to be desired. The conference room was not conducive to discussing school board and administration matters; I wonder if any real progress was made in this uncomfortable and stuffy environment.

I, and many others, encourage the board and administration to keep scheduling these study sessions, and I understand they would like (and need) to do so in a fresh environment that would lend itself to more sharing of ideas.

All I ask is that these meetings, if they must be held off-site, be held in a PUBLIC building with adequate room for both the press and concerned citizens.

My question is this, when is it okay for governmental bodies to meet in a private office building - especially a building that has limited space for the press and concerned citizens? I do not think it is a wise idea – and apparently the state Attorney General’s office agrees.

No comments: