Wednesday, December 06, 2006

RUSD working behind closed doors?

The dynamics of the sometimes tedious RUSD meetings are changing, I think. It seems that the board is doing most of its “real work” behind the scenes at study sessions that are not scheduled at the normal meeting place (Central Office).

While I applaud their efforts to keep the regularly scheduled meeting times brief and focused, I am concerned that there is a public perception that these meetings cannot be attended by the general public. I also fear that the public may perceive that decisions will be made behind closed doors.

I understand that no decisions will be made at these study sessions and the meetings (or study sessions as they are called) can be attended by the general public. While I was assured that members of the public CAN attend these meetings, I was left wondering if the board members would really welcome observers.

There is a meeting scheduled for 12/11/06; based on the agenda, I predict that the discussion should be quite lively. Please make it a point to attend the meeting and hear the discussion on redistricting, because when it finally shows up on a regular agenda, there will be little or no discussion on the matter – only a vote.

Also, please consider attending and posting your comments here on this forum; I will be unable to attend this meeting due to my son's middle school Christmas concert which is scheduled for the same time.

3 comments:

Denis Navratil said...

I agree Brenda. This is BS. I attended one of these meetings at the DeKoven center. It was held in a small room with barely a chair available for the public. I think this kind of scheduling is done to discourage the public from attending. It sends a terrible message. By the way, I posted about that meeting on my site. They discussed the survey about imagining a great school disctrict in 2015.

Brenda said...

Hey I just noticed - you are posting as a "blogger" and not "anonymous"!

I am going to go back and read your posting about the meeting!

Denis Navratil said...

Hey Brenda. My original post on the subject can be found in the August archives at freeracine. It was entitled "Linkages or referendum prep?"