Wednesday, April 25, 2007

MPS wants to handcuff its students


Since I have strayed from RUSD to MPS, I thought it would be appropriate to discuss the recent MPS board approval of flexible handcuffs to subdue unruly and violent students. I have to admit at first, I was slightly taken aback. It does seem inhumane, but after some additional thoughts on the matter, I believe I could support something like this in any school district.

Like it or not, some of our schools are dangerous places and most of them do not have full-time police officers on duty. For safety sakes, sometimes the best solution would be to restrain a child with these cuffs. As long as these handcuffs are used to keep other children/staff safe, and NOT for discipline, I think it is a sad, but reasonable, measure to take.

No comments: