Thursday, April 19, 2007

RUSD Board to silence all dissent

Already some of the local bloggers (here and here) have weighed in on the proposed changes to the RUSD Board Governance policies, but I feel a strong desire to weigh in the issue myself and provide a slightly different perspective.

Having been in attendance at most of the RUSD board meetings for the last few years, I have seen the progression from how they did business a few years ago to how they currently run their board meetings under the “new” Policy Governance. I can say that I have never been a huge fan of their new way of doing business, but I can now say that Policy Governance (with the proposed changes) is NOT the direction I would head if I sat on the board. I believe the board is moving to silence all board dissent and perhaps even trying to rewrite the Constitution. RUSD Board Members ARE elected officials, and they are elected to represent their constituents and ask questions. This is NOT disrespectful – it is RESPONSIBLE.

Furthermore, I question the judgment of the leadership of the board member(s) timing of these changes to the board policy. Helloooooo, there is referendum scheduled for June 12th!! Do they want this to pass or not?? Having asked many annoying questions over the years, and probably ticked off more than my fair share, I have watched the district slowly and painfully try to turn itself around and move in a positive direction. Up until today, I was convinced they WERE moving in the RIGHT direction.

Now, another debacle they have to overcome and another fire to put out. Instead of moving ahead in a positive direction, the leadership of RUSD will be sidetracked by this snafu that could potentially harm the district and the children it serves. We need to continue to move ahead in a positive way, our children are losing ground against their peers each and every day…

If the referendum fails because of the negative publicity the district will undoubtedly receive by trying to limit the free speech of their board, they only have themselves to blame.

My sincere thanks to the RUSD board member who passed this information to me - you are NO LONGER on notice (or dead to me).

No comments: