Friday, April 20, 2007

Urban school reform: It takes a village

This morning as I was making my way through the Cheddarsphere over my morning coffee, I stumbled across an entry from Jay of folkbum's rambles and rants which discusses the intensive and comprehensive reform plan MPS is undertaking. Over 40 educational experts got together and drafted the plan.

You might ask “Brenda, what’s so great about drafting a plan? Don’t you think RUSD has a plan to be the best urban district by 2010?”

My answer would be that of course I know that RUSD has a plan, but the public was not part of the planning/input sessions. Also MPS is asking for feedback for the draft plan at upcoming listening sessions and get this – VIA THE WEB - for those stakeholders that cannot attend the listening sessions.

I wish more people in our community would demand to be part of the process of improving our schools…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
I too wish that more people in our community would participate in the process of improving our schools. And yes, RUSD does have a plan (I have my own personal critique of this plan, but they have one); and RUSD did involve the public (although they don't listen to the public). They had listening sessions, we attended one remember? So I guess that I'm not really getting what you're trying to say here. What are you saying? (Maybe, I'm having another one of "those moments", but I'm missing something, please elaborate.)

Anonymous said...

And "YES", RUSD should absolutely broadcast their meetings on the access channel so that people who cannot attend meetings can still know what's going on.

Brenda said...

Sorry about the delay Kat!

Regrading the MPS plan, what I think is most refreshing is that the plan is very detailed and they are seeking input on the plan.

On the other hand, RUSD is great at holding listening sessions-but without anything to critque what good are they?

How many times do they want to hear we "value education"?