Friday, June 30, 2006

"Good Night, and Good Luck"

For those of my 6 readers that look for me on the Journal Times blogs, I am giving it up. After rereading the comments on the Hicks contract extension posting, I have decided that most of the bloggers on that site are much to willing to stoop to personal attacks and refuse to debate an issue reasonably. I do not wish to trade barbs with people of that ilk; I want to debate the issues honestly and fairly. I also realize I am definitely not alone; Denis Navatril, Eric Marcus and Fred (especially in the last couple days) have all been victims of similar abuse. Actually, I should feel somewhat honored to be is such esteemed company.

I am thinking of giving up this blog too, since I am not sure if it has done any good except providing me with some much needed (and free) therapy. Or maybe I’ll just focus on the “hard-hitting” issues in Racine, such as what is the best park or how to create an Easter wreath with the leftover egg cartons (this is possible, by the way, my 9 year old and I have done it).

I know this though; the citizens of Racine (and I am including some board members) are completely apathetic to what is going on in our schools. As you may be aware, I am a mother of 2 but this IS not about them or how RUSD has ruined them. My children do very well (with no thanks to RUSD) because they are extremely intelligent; I would dare say they would do well even in a worse environment. But many children are not blessed with their natural abilities, and are struggling.

My passion is for them and for the community I call home. How much longer will I have to continue watching our schools suffer academically and from the continual mismanagement of educational dollars? Doesn’t anybody realize how schools affect a community? When will the rest of the public wake up?

I’m still not sure if I will continue this blogging thing; just in case this is my last post I want to say to everyone in Racine – “Good Night, and Good Luck”.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The day you call Eric Marcus and Denis "esteemed company" then farewell. Many of us considered you a cut above but if you want to lower yourself to their rank, it's your call.

Fred has my respect and I disagree with him on many venues. If you want to consider yourself in Fred's category, fine.

I am astonished that when you got cypber-egged on the blogs, it hit dead center. I was going to say, shower the eggs off, pick up and go on. Then when I read on this blog you consider yourself some kind of war hero because of a few unkind words, when I see you consider yourself an esteemed personality in with the likes of Denis or Eric, then farewell. You got yourself connected with really bad company Brenda. You were not cyber-stalked, you were cyber-egged.

I enjoyed reading your work, I didn't enjoy the obsession.

I enjoyed your quickness, I didn't enjoy your connection with people who have bad reputations as crazy nut chronic community complainers. You obviously don't know Denis like thousands of other Racinians got to know him when he ran and lost in the primary for County Exec. There is alot more there than you want to know.

If you want to give it up, fine, I am sure your family will enjoy the extra attention.

When you want to come back, there will be many people who will welcome your work, your thoughts, your criticisms. You did a good job, no, you did an outstanding job.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
What you haven't discovered is that Racine citizens are cyclical in their passions and disgruntlements. Enjoy the summer, come back, blog. I agree with one thing, go it alone, don't hook up with Free Racine or Marcus. You should be snapped up by the Journal Times and be paid for writing about RUSD pros AND cons. When you hook up with the crazies, you lose credibility, you are an excellent researcher, debater and you have the respect the others don't have so don't lose yours, you can stand alone and write. So many of us respect you. We may not agree with some things and agree with other things.

Enjoy the 4th holiday, go on respite and we will hungerly await your return.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
I hope you stick around. I've never questioned your commitment to education or to what you thought was in the best interest of your kids. Your intent was pure and you should be commended for that. Your investigation is 1st rate.
I have disagreed with some of your conclusions. There is often more than one way to look at things and I suppose sometimes more than one correct answer to some problems. My issues have been with fairness(full disclosure of facts, from both sides of an issue) and then debate.You see, I have passion too. I've felt that your position has not always done that and my intent was only to draw attention to left out facts. I have never called you names and am as against this egg tossing as you are.
Keep up the good work you have begun here. People who agree with you HAVE noticed, and those of us who disagree look forward to more spirited debate in the future.

I agree with anonymous, "enjoy the 4th holiday, go on respite and we will hungrily await your return".

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your work Brenda. I hope you continue. Denis Navratil.

realdebate said...

Brenda,

No one has been attacked more than I in this town. (Well maybe Jayne Siler).

They attack when they can not make a logical reply to your points.

That is when you know you are being effective.

I encouraged you to start, now I am encouraging you to continue.

Don't let the bad mannered, ill tempered and uninformed get you down.

We need people to fight the good fight with ideas, opinions and fact. That describes you.

It is easy to sit on the sidelines and throw critical insults at those who care the most. They attack your resolve as they can not counter your position.

Don't let them win.

Village of caledonia said...

Brenda:

Don't do it!!! I have felt like you from time to time, but if you give up, they win and our children lose. I know you better than that. It's too important of a fight and the stakes are a generation's future.

Believe it or not, it is time to fight harder. Ignore the ignorance of a few, for in the end, what does their opinion matter? There is some real garbage going on at the top of RUSD, and for one, I feel it my duty to the community, to end it.

Hang oin there Brenda. Remember one battle does not win a war. You've been doing the right thing. Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Brenda wants a break, why shouldn't she?

Perhaps others will have to work a bit themselves and get information.

Perhaps others will have to digest the information.

Perhaps others will put long hours in.

Perhaps letting someone else pull the cart a bit will make others join in instead of being spoon-fed the information, and lastly, perhaps family life got better than RUSD offices.

Brenda said...

To anonymous and on holiday for now- I thank you for the kind words, but I do disagree with your comments regarding Eric and Denis. Perhaps their 'take no prisoner style' is abrasive to you, but I feel most of their comments are dead-on and well represented.

To Denis - thank for your kind words.

To Fred- thanks for getting me into this. I see now that it will be hard for me to quit- this blogging thing is addictive.

To Brian - A very special "welcome back" is in order for our very own rabble-rouser. We've missed you!

Just perhaps - It's true, more people need to get involved. I know there are others, but sometimes I feel I am but a few who cares about the seedy shenanigans that surround RUSD!

To all - I guess I can't pack it in and I promise I will no longer post to the JT blogs.