Monday, October 16, 2006

RUSD Budget Increases

The RUSD 2006-2007 draft budget is available online today; I thought I would give it a quick glance. One line item really stuck out to me – in the General Management Expenditures (page 32) there is a whopping 935.5% increase in the category “Other”. There is also a notation denoting there was an explanation, so I returned to the beginning of the budget to see the reason for this massive increase.

This is the explanation, in verbatim: “Additional allocation for school training and development per Board policy”.

Are these are the same training sessions that they keep telling us are “corporate funded” and paid for by our “business partners”?

I know in the grand scheme of things, this money is an insignificant part of the overall budget, but it hacks me off to no end when we (the public) are told one thing and they do another. I do not understand how this district can condone this spending when children have to share textbooks and curriculum offerings have been reduced!

No comments: