Thursday, January 18, 2007

Government in action

Having spent many a Monday evening at 2220 Northwestern Avenue over the years, I am no stranger to seeing a governmental body in action (government in action – is that an oxymoron?). I thought I had seen it all, but apparently I was wrong.

Yesterday, I witnessed my first Caledonia Village meeting – the Community Development Authority (CDA) met to discuss a proposed TID district and the possibility of drafting a referendum that may lead to Caledonia forming an independent school district. I have to say I was impressed with how Caledonia conducts their business and treats the citizens who show up.

First of all, there were handouts for everyone, not just the board members. Nothing is more irritating than having to listen to people discuss what is on the bottom of page 2 when you have no idea what is on even on page 2!

Second, citizens were allowed to ask questions throughout the meeting. At Unified’s meetings, there is time for citizen comments at the beginning of each meeting, but the board and administration do not have to address any concerns brought up by the speaker.

Finally, not only can citizens ask questions – the questions actually get answered (or at least addressed).

I am embarrassed to admit that this was the first time I attended a Village meeting; but it certainly will not be my last.

No comments: