Thursday, March 08, 2007

Doyle fails a simple math test

"First and foremost, this budget maintains the state's commitment to fund two-thirds of the cost of our kids' education." (Governor Doyle in the Feb 13th budget speech)

As a parent of children in RUSD, I know our students are able to compare percentages, decimals, and fractions and determine if the numbers are equivalent. Apparently our governor, Jim Doyle, does not possess these rudimentary mathematic skills.

It has been reported that in the upcoming budget cycle, the state has not lived up to its promise of 2/3 funding for the state’s public school system. For the 2007-2008 school year, his budget includes funding of 65.3%. Both my children (5th and 6th grade) are able to state (with much confidence!) that 65.5% is LESS than 2/3.

Doyle aide Matt Canter insisted that the governor lived up to his promise. "This is two-thirds funding," (JS 3/6/06)

I know what you’re thinking – come on, it’s pretty close – cut the guy some slack. But consider this – public schools cost $9.2 BILLION dollars so every percentage point represents about $92M. This is not pocket change, my friends.

So the shortfall is about $100,000,000 – that’s a lot of zeros to be made up. I’m not debating whether it was the right thing (fiscally) to do; I’m trying to examine why he feels the need to lie about it. Does he think we wouldn't notice?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably know this already, but I think RUSD gets more than 2/3 from the state. Denis navratil.

Brenda said...

Yes, you are right - I did know that. RUSD, because of the equalized funding, usually gets more than 2/3. So does Milwaukee, Beloit and many other urban districts.

The intent of my post was to point out another one of our governor's failed promises, not how it would affect RUSD. (Denis, you do keep me on my toes)

Just add this to the growing list of empty promises (comprehensive child predator law, increased funding for the state's crime lab, etc)