Thursday, March 22, 2007

I support a RUSD referendum

The title of this post is not a joke; I really do support the idea of a referendum and I am going to tell you why. Over the last year, I have been very public in my criticisms of the school district on this forum. Administration and board members have both been targets of my wrath at times and rightfully so. However, there has been progress, albeit slow and painful, in the district.

First, and foremost, RUSD is finally getting their financial house in order. They have streamlined the transportation department saving $400,000. They have switched their 3rd party health-care administrator saving what is projected to be $6 M. They are currently trying to streamline the special education area to be more cost efficient; there are not any numbers yet on this issue but I have been told the savings will be significant. (Of course, I am sure that Mr. Roger Dickson will point out countless other savings he has identified, but remember he and his partners were paid a bonus on many of the savings they found.)

Are there still areas that need to be looked at, of course there are but many of those areas where there are still savings cannot be arbitrarily changed because of the union contracts.

Unlike many in the community, I have pored over the annual budget and have asked many questions. There really isn’t much left to be cut. The current school funding formula may be part of the problem. While I appreciate the control the revenue caps have against the bloated budgets of the 1980s and early 1990s, the formula does not address the changes we have seen since that time. A school district is only allowed to increase its spending 2% each year, yet the QEO offers a guaranteed minimum increase of 3.8% to its teachers.

I realize that the equation is not really that simple. Other variables like rising property tax rates (which RUSD has no control over) and equalized funding also are part of the formula, but Racine with its declining population and depressed property values are not helping RUSD in reaching its budgetary needs.

The residents of Wisconsin need controls over government spending; however, I am not entirely convinced our current school funding formula is doing an adequate job. I know the legislators meant well back in 1993, however the current solution is not working for RUSD (or any school district for that matter). It is time to look for new ways to fund our public schools. Other states have schools and do not have the enormous property tax and state tax bills we have here in Wisconsin.

So where does it leave us here in Racine? The district has finally addressed the real needs our schools have in technology and facilities and are asking voters to authorize the spending. When board members asked what if would take for me to support a referendum in past years, I have always stated “Get a handle on rising healthcare costs, streamline operations and tell me EXACTLY where my money is going, and I’ll be the first in line at the polls voting yes.”

Regretfully, I guess its time for me to put my money where my mouth is….

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Extra, Extra, Read all about it...Brenda from 'Racine's Report Card' actually supports a referendum!!!"

I can't believe that no one has commented on this post!! (oh, wait, I just did).

Brenda said...

Judging by the JT poll it seems that most people are where I was a couple of years ago - that nothing could be done to save this district.

However, I think the "tools" (yes I said tools) are finally in place - especially with the very welcome addition of Dr. V to finally see something good come out of the district.

I know I sound all Pollyanna - but I think that real change can finally happen. If it cannot be done with her assistance, I do not know if it can EVER be done.

Denis Navratil said...

With all the savings you cited, why would there need to be a referendum? Shouldn't they be lowering our taxes? And have they really gotten a handle on health care? Last time I checked, health care costs were about $20,000, and rising, for family coverage.

I don't know Brenda. It seems that you are a bit smitten with Dr. V. I don't think any one person can not turn Unified around.

Brenda said...

Denis,

You are right that MORE should be done with the healthcare - that is truly what is driving up the operating costs of the district.

However, a change in the 3rd party administrator was a change in the right direction. It was not enough to cover the deficit, but these are the changes that cannot arbitrarily be changed.

Regarding Dr. V, I realize that she is only one person. But I see people lining up to help her, and others that want to do the same.

Unlike others in administration, I think she is willing to work with the teachers, principals and community members to get the job done.

If she does succeed, and I hope she does, it will be because she "engaged" (gee, I hate that word sometimes) the community NOT because she did it by herself.