Friday, March 23, 2007

Clarification on why I support the referendum

It has been brought to my attention that I left out a very important reason on why I am supporting a proposed RUSD referendum. In my earlier post, I had said I wanted to know EXACTLY where the money was going before supporting any additional spending, and I meant it.

Although not reported by the any media, the RUSD Referendum Chairperson (Mr. Nielsen) had suggested the district will provide the voters and citizens of our community a detailed list on the districts website. Once a month, this list would be updated with the projects done, the cost of each, and perhaps a running balance.

In this way, the voters can see where EXACTLY the money is going, and how much of their money is left. Unfortunately, this kind of transparency is needed before the district brings forth any new spending. There is a level of distrust among the voters who do not follow the districts finances on a regular basis.

At least three board members (McKenna, Dey and Bangs) are also looking for more details before approving any amounts, and rightfully so. They will be held personally accountable at the polls, so they to need to make sure they know EXACTLY what they are approving.

The administration of our district MUST provide both the board members and the citizens of the community a detailed and transparent list of expenditures if they expect any referendum to pass. I will support a referendum, as I am sure many others will, if the district acts in a transparent and open way.

1 comment:

Free Thinker said...

While RUSD does deserve credit for its cost saving measures. I think you are neglecting that they have added many administrative positions since the last referendum. How is that fiscally responsible?

This district is still top heavy and will get only 'No' votes from me until they prove they can fix what's happening in Central Office.