Thursday, October 11, 2007

I have hope, too.

None of the problems faced by the oft-criticized Racine Unified School District are new; the problems may have escalated in the last few years, but the challenges it faces have been there for decades. Everyone agrees that something needs to be done – what that “something” is what is dividing this community. Is it more money, different programs, more qualified teachers?

Dr. Jackson Parker, the RUSD interim superintendent, has “hope” for the district – that’s good, so do I and many others. We see the bigger picture, what’s good for RUSD is good for the entire community. What I find most refreshing is that there is universal approval of Dr. Parker. The teachers, business community and the RUSD board all have high expectations for this year – I include myself in this list. Dr. Parker has a proven track record in this district and I assume he only left in the late 80s after the research and curriculum department he oversaw was cut from the budget.

My only fear is that when the time comes for Dr. Parker to return to his lazy days of retirement, we won’t want him to leave. Wouldn’t that be ironic after the last decade of so of superintendents?

No comments: