Saturday, May 19, 2007

Much ado about 'Roots'

RUSD is in the headlines again, and this time it’s not about allegations over its business practices– it is about the curriculum of a 6th grade social studies class. Social Studies, if you remember, is a course of study including geography, history, government, and sociology. Children learn about the cultures of different people, and hopefully use that knowledge to understand current and past human events. It is NOT simply studying the topography of different countries.

Unified’s official stance on canceling the showing of Roots is the following:

1. It does not support the district’s curriculum.
2. It is not a “judicious” use of media.
3. The content is not “appropriate” for the grade level.
4. The district did not approve it.

All of these reasons above may indeed be valid, but I ask the following questions:

1. Does designing a board game based on a favorite novel support the curriculum? My “advanced” 6th grader had such an assignment. Instead of learning how to identify the conflict, plot or antagonist/protagonist in a novel, we have our 6th graders designing board games based on a book they read. In my opinion, this is an assignment more closely aligned with the learning capacity of a 1st grader.

2. Is showing Honey, I Shrunk the Kids or Spy Kids in MATH class a judicious use of media? We have 6th grade teachers, showing these (and many more) movies in MATH class so the teachers have time to grade tests.

I may be off-base, but I find the hypocrisy of the decisions of central office administrators disturbing. It is okay for a MATH teacher to show Spy Kids, but not okay for a SOCIAL STUDIES teacher to show Roots to his students?

What is the real reason for canceling Roots? It is disturbing and may not be appropriate for some 11 and 12 year olds, but please do not insult my intelligence and tell me it’s all about the districts policies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am positive that the teachers who are showing Honey, I Shrunk the Kids & others like it, probably didn't get district permission. They probably thought they didn't need to. What that has to do with Math is beyond me.

Roots is very violent. I have seen it. I think reading about slavery in text books is one thing, but watching people be beat, whipped, raped & a run-a-way slave's foot be cut off is unappropriate for 12 year olds.

My point is that teachers can get the point across to their students that slavery was wrong & the kids can learn about the history of it all without watching Roots.

For such a dramatic movie, I feel that the teacher should have gotten permission from the district to show it.

Brenda said...

I agree that the teacher should follow school policy, hence the district was correct in denying him to continue - but there needs to be a level playing field.

If teachers must get permission to show a video that is not "in" the curriculum then ALL teachers should have to.

Is it any wonder our test scores are lacking when you find out how many times our children watch TV at school, or have to do assignments that are not appropiate for grade level.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly support Mr. Christensen. My daughter had him for 6th grade and my son is currently in the class mentioned in the paper. For details of my support, read my response on the JT blog. BTW-He did get permission to use it as part of the curriculum. No one in Central Office told him it had to reviewed every year. Where was CO the past two years?

As for Roots being a violent movie, remember this was shown on regular network TV in the seventies. Much better than what our children are exposed to on tv today, or even video games.

Brenda said...

Brian,

I agree that watching Roots is an invaluable teaching tool and understand your frustration that the teacher did get permission at one time, I share the frustration as well.

However, I do believe any extra-curricula activities should align themselves with the curriculum.

I am far more upset with the double standards the administration seems to be displaying.

How is it that showing movies in math and phy ed acceptable?