Thursday, May 18, 2006

RUSD: A Masterpiece of Obfuscation

We would love it if our schools were successful; we would gladly pay more money in taxes if we thought it would make a difference or knew where the money was going. However, our failing district insists on going to the public (time and time again) without a clear plan with measurable goals and without any accountability. With the introduction of Governance Policy in January of this year, the RUSD board finally has the formal framework to evaluate all functions of the district, both academic and financial.

Publicly stated goals and accountability are not bad things; they are not anti-education or anti-teacher as many would perceive. Citizens like Eric Marcus and Denis Navratil who question the academic and business practices of RUSD should not be viewed as the problem; the problem lies with the rest of us who simply go on with our lives or are too afraid to speak out.

You might ask, “What exactly is a measurable goal”? One example might be a 5% increase in graduation rates over the next year. I’m sure that deep inside the bowels of Central Office, there has to be some goals somewhere. But if the board refuses to commit to these goals, why would our CEO even bother achieving them? Another reason to have measurable goals would be what I like to call the “accountability” factor. If goals, or targets with metrics attached would be in place, the board could hold the CEO accountable and take measures if necessary. The public could then hold the board accountable for not holding the CEO accountable. I guess that could explain why there are not any publicly stated measurable goals with consequences.

While we have some problems with our superintendent, we have heard him ask the board for specific targets with metrics. If our CEO wants goals, why hasn’t the board given him some? We feel that this board, like previous boards, is afraid to take action of any kind. It is much easier to continue the status quo, than to demand any real change. We think it is time to stop making excuses, lay the cards out on the table, and start moving this district out of stagnation and into the open waters of “positivity”.

Pat was a contributor to this post.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Brenda, you know that “accountability” is a word that only gets thrown around at election time. The candidates always seem to “demand accountability”. Unfortunately, more often than not, it is a hollow threat.

I certainly hope that our new board members, who, according to Partnership for Progress, want to “Hold administrators accountable for wise use of every dollar”, and “Support improved academic achievement and excellence for ALL students”, will actually follow through on that threat. It seems the previously sitting board members will not.

Maybe sometime in the future, you will start speaking out about these issues instead of just going about your life.

You shouldn’t use words like “obfuscation”. What would your mother think? I thought this was a family internet site.

And who is this Pat that you speak of?

Denis Navratil said...

I don't think the efforts to hold individuals or boards accountable will work. It hasn't worked yet and I see know reason why it would work. Instead, why not focus on holding the education system accountable. There are other options available to us besides a centralized, government run education monopoly. A free market approach to education, with parents empowered with a taxpayer funded school voucher, would force accountability on schools because they would be in competition for students. Perhaps it is time we hold the government run education monopoly accountable for their evident failures. Denis Navratil.

Denis Navratil said...

OOPS, should read "I see no reason", not "know reason".

Brenda said...

A few weeks ago, I probably would not have agreed that vouchers are the solution for RUSD's problems.

Now, after realizing that there probably no chance of solving the problems from within, I think that vouchers may be the only viable solution.

Anonymous said...

Be forwarned Brenda. If you advocate for vouchers, you will be targetted. Opponents will seek to find information about you, for the sole purpose of intimidating you. It is the only reform that will never be endorsed by the teachers union because it would mean the end of everything they hold dear, and that is the leverage, the power, and the money. I of course think you are reaching the right conclusion, and I think there is safety in numbers, but I think it is only fair to warn you that you will need thick skin in order to go down that road. By the way, I was informed today that a meeting will be taking place to discuss the voucher subject. It will be held in June. If you are interested, give me a call and I will provide you with the details. Denis Navratil.

Brenda said...

Denis,

As I have stated before, I have been fundamentally against voucher schools for different reasons.

But since then, I have worked my way through my biggest obstacle with them, and will continue to try and learn more about them.

I would be interested in hearing more about it and how vouchers would benefit the children of our community.

Why don't you shoot me an email (link is on this blog) to let me know the details.

Anonymous said...

You are a reasonable person, to be sure. I wonder if you would be willing to share your reasons for being fundamentally against vouchers. My guess, church state seperation concerns. As for e-mailing you the info, I would love to but I can't find a link to your e-mail address. Denis.

Brenda said...

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain my feelings.

You are right, my first concern did revolve around the whole "church state separation" issue.

I think I have worked my way through that one, but my other big issue is that unless everyone family has the opportunity to use vouchers, there will be inequity.

As in Milwaukee, only 20% of the student population is able to take advantage of vouchers. I just do not see how that is fair to the family who (rightfully so) wants to get out of MPS but cannot because of the arbitrary guidelines set by our governor.

I have a same problems with the magnet school and charter schools here in Racine; I wish that instead of trying to destroy the few choices parents have they would make more choices.

Whether it be a charter school, a magnet school, or the use of vouchers I think parents deserve the right to seek the best education for their children.

And I think that our tax dollars should be supporting the best educational system possible.

I think we are agreeing that it should be education, but I am not sure that the voucher system (like Milwaukee has) is the way to go.

I certainly do not have all the answers but I think all avenues need to be explored.

Brenda said...

Denis,

As for emailing me the information; I thought that letter icon was a link to my email. Like you, I am relatively new to this "blogger" stuff.

If it is okay with you, I will try to contact you at your business as I do not wish to share my email address on this venue.

God forbid, I get a "cyber-stalker" like your Boycott emailing me hate messages.

Anonymous said...

I would agree with you Brenda that Milwuakees' voucher program is not perfect. The best program would provide vouchers for everyone, as you suggested. However, I still think that vouchers for 20% is better than vouchers for none. Besides, an immediate universal voucher program would be untenable as there are not enough private schools yet to accomadate the demand. A voucher program would have to grow incrementally, like it is in Milwaukee. And yes, feel free to call me at home or at work. I would provide the details here but the last thing we would need is "Boycott" and similar thugs showing up to disrupt the meeting. Denis.

Brenda said...

Thanks Denis,! I may do just that;
I am a firm believer that one needs to open their eyes to new ideas. There are always two sides to every issue.