Thursday, May 04, 2006

Why is RUSD paying for Union Activities?

Below is the email I recently sent to the 5 school board members with published email addresses. I will share any responses when I receive (if I receive!!!) some answers. Check back soon….


RUSD Board Member,

I read the article this morning about a provision in the teacher contract where RUSD will paying for REA union activities. I also understand that there are times throughout the year that this may be necessary. However, I do have a question regarding the following paragraph from today's paper.

"The contract provision in question allows the Racine Education Association president - currently Betsy Kippers - to take off essentially a full school year to be used for "association business." The district would continue paying salary and benefits for the union president while the REA would pick up the cost of a substitute teacher."

My question is this. Betsy Kippers is listed on the RUSD website as an administrator, not a classroom teacher as the article will lead us to believe. Therefore is it really necessary for the REA to pay a substitute? If a substitute teacher is not required, wouldn't that mean the district is paying the whole tab for Kippers to do REA business?

I hope you are able to answer my questions, and if you are not, to clarify this before voting to ratify the contract on Monday.

No comments: